Sunday, August 30, 2009

Every story starts somewhere.

I guess I should know where to start when it comes to Australia. I should know where to start sharing about a new town across the world, but that’s just it.... I have no idea where to start. While on the phone I usually wait for a question from the other end of the line to mark my starting gate in conversation. I guess I could start from the beginning. I’m sure there will be many details that are forgotten, but the important ones will make it in I suppose. Bare with me.

August 3rd to the 5th: Saying good-bye to my brother and parents; probably the hardest thing I have ever done. Honestly, the tears were less than I thought they would be, (that's probably because my tear ducts were almost dry from all the crying the weeks before) but finally having that last hug or giving that last wave was heart wrenching. And as we took steps towards our first gate in Ft. Lauderdale something my Dad said to me resided in my head, “Don’t walk. RUN to that plane! This is such an opportunity, and it’s a HAPPY one.” Though his words helped me smile, they didn't quiet the fear.

Throughout the day, sitting side by side with my guys, there were naps, hunger pains, and a few moments where Derek and I would look at each other with fear in our eyes. We’re pretty fortunate to be able to look at each other, not only in times of joy, but it times of complete fear and know with absolute certainty that the other person is thinking the same thing. That day it was, “What the fuck are we doing?!?!”
After a few deep breaths, some tears, and some big laughs we were okay again.

Once we got to LAX we were more than happy to be off the plane for a short while. AND we had the pleasure of being met at the airport by two great friends. Just what we needed for the transition. Craig and Noah entertained Landon a bit (thank you) while Derek and I played musical clothes with our 13 bags. Nothing could be overweight. We transferred clothes from this bag to that one and then back again. What a pain in the ass. After we enjoyed Noah and Craig’s company at a restaurant bar and grill (which only served beer), we said good-bye, and headed to our gate. This was it, last chance to bail, but still Dad’s words were in my head… and run was what we did, but not out of excitement. Landon had to pee and our flight was boarding!

Finally after a FULL day of traveling Derek and I were on a plane that reminded me of the horribly offensive, yet hysterical, movie Soul Plane. (Do not rent this movie; I fear it could change your opinion on who I am as a person.) There was a green neon lit bar and a bathroom that played Bob Marley songs. Cool! The people were already friendlier and were talking funny with strange accents. Oh wait, they were ALL Australian! Alas, we were there, on the plane, the doors were shutting and I was getting ready to shut off my shitty T-Mobile phone forever when my Dad called (2am EST). One last “lud you” on the side of the world that’s “right side up”. Once I’d hung up, that was it for me, the tears came again.

The 15 hour flight was much easier than I thought it would be, physically. We all slept for most of it, and when we were awake we could watch TV, movies and play games in the back of our seats. Perfect for Landon. I still can’t get over how good he was on the plane. Derek told me that he kept waking up thinking, “There is still time to turn back if we want to, we’ve got one more plane.” And then he would panic, because, nope. This was it mate. No turning back now, at least not today.

I can’t remember much else about the flight, only that at one point while I was half asleep a stewardess came by to ask me about food and my response to her was something out of a zombie movie, “uuuuuughghahaahmmm…” and I’m pretty sure I might have had a little bit of drool on my face too. Yup, there, I said it, it wasn’t pretty. Anyone in my family can tell you I can be a heavy sleeper. Hours later after I’d been a sleep and then awake for a while she came by again and her little Australian accent asked me I’d had a good sleep. I said yes, smiled, and she walked away laughing to herself. Oh well, there were other Australians to impress.

Once we arrived we had to wait in a customs line where Derek had his butt sniffed many times by a dog looking for drugs before our passports were stamped. I was a bit nervous; I kept picturing Landon unknowingly walking through the line to the other side, and then being jumped on (like a rugby pile on) by security. What is it about those guys that make you so nervous; really, the only thing they took from us was our Almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment